Frankenstein or The modern Prometheus
Including the 1818 and 1831 complete and unabridged versions by Mary Shelley
Books On Demand
Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus, is a novel written by English author Mary Shelley about eccentric scientist Victor Frankenstein, who creates a grotesque creature in an unorthodox scientific experiment. Shelley started writing the story when she was eighteen, and the novel was published when she was twenty. The first edition was published anonymously in London in 1818. Shelley's name appears on the second edition, published in France in 1823. Shelley had travelled through Europe in 1814, journeying along the river Rhine in Germany with a stop in Gernsheim which is just 17 km (10 mi) away from Frankenstein Castle, where two centuries before an alchemist was engaged in experiments. Later, she traveled in the region of Geneva (Switzerland - where much of the story takes place - and the topics of galvanism and other similar occult ideas were themes of conversation among her companions, particularly her lover and future husband, Percy Shelley. Mary, Percy, Lord Byron, and John Polidori decided to have a competition to see who could write the best horror story. After thinking for days, Shelley dreamt about a scientist who created life and was horrified by what he had made; her dream later evolved into the story within the novel. Frankenstein is infused with elements of the Gothic novel and the Romantic movement and is also considered to be one of the earliest examples of science fiction. This special limited edition has been released to commemorate the 1818-2018 200th Anniversary of this legendary novel.
Autres contributions de...
- Mes rêves n'appartiennent qu'à moi, Lettres de la femme qui réinventa la peurMary Wollstonecraft ShelleyOrma
- DuckensteinFabio CeloniGlénat Disney
- Frankenstein ou Le Prométhée moderne. Tome 2Mary Wollstonecraft ShelleyHachette Livre BNF
- Frankenstein ou Le Prométhée moderneMary Wollstonecraft ShelleyFolio
- Frankenstein / texte abrégé, avec un groupement de documents sur la figure du savantMary Wollstonecraft ShelleyHatier
- Frankenstein - English Readers Level 3Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, Mairi MackinnonUsborne Cat Ang